How to Know 100% that Jesus Saved You
Like many believers, you may have struggled at some point with whether or not you’re saved. Or, you might be struggling with this now. You know you believe that Christ died for you and rose from the dead, but there’s this feeling deep in your gut that has you wondering. And you’re afraid.
“Was I sincere?”
“Did I really believe?”
These are common questions, but there’s good news! Scripture tells us we can know 100% we are saved. This assurance of our salvation is based on one thing, and it’s not how well we perform as Christians. Nowhere in the Bible are we told to look to our works for assurance of our salvation. We are called to be holy as He is holy, yet our assurance is based on our faith in Jesus’ person and work.
I wanna share a couple verses with you that will, no doubt, give you that 100%. Then I want to ask you a few questions. The first one is John 5:24:
“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.”
1. Did you hear His word? If at some point someone shared the Word of God with you, and this included the truth that Christ died for our sins and rose from the dead, and that faith in Christ alone saves, then you did hear His word.
2. Do you believe Him? God sent His only Son as our substitute to pay our penalty for sin. Do you believe? Are you convinced this is true; your faith is in Him alone and not in someone or something else?
3. Does the verse say, “…will have eternal life” or “…may have eternal life”? No. It says, “…has eternal life.” That means right now.
4. Does the verse say, “…may not be judged”? No. It says the person “will not be judged.” It’s a definite thing.
5. Does the verse say, “…may/hope to cross from death to life”? No. It says the person “has crossed from death to life.” This happened at a single point in time when you believed.
Here’s another verse on assurance–1 John 5:13.
“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.”
1. Do you believe in the name of the Son of God? Are you convinced of the truth that Jesus paid for your sin and rose from the dead?
2. Does the verse say, “…so that you may guess/hope that you have eternal life”? No. It says, “…so that you may know that you have eternal life.”
To believe means to be convinced that something is true. To be convinced that the gospel is true means you are relying on Christ alone to save you. Period. According to Scripture, if you believe in Jesus, then He has given you His life: eternal life. There is no guessing about it. It’s a done deal; the transaction has been made!
So the next time someone asks you, “Do you know if you’re going to heaven?” you can confidently answer, “Yes.” The reason is clear: Christ saves eternally those who believe in Him.
Let this inspire you to rest in the joy of knowing for sure that you belong to Him forever!